Take a look at an awesome lesson that was designed by my friend and former student of mine discussing traffic stat checking.
You now have an understanding of what traffic is and what type of traffic you need (targeted/quality)
Q. How do you know how many people come to your website?
With a great question, comes a great answer.
There are “traffic tracking programs” that you can use for FREE, right now.
And they are super easy to install.
With these “traffic tracking programs” you can see how comes to your website, how they got to your website, what pages they visit, and a bunch of other interesting statistics.
Among all of the different web based programs out there that are readily available, there are only a few that I personally suggest.
You can use one or all of the following programs to track traffic to your site.
- Google Analytics
All of these are FREE traffic tracking methods and are easy to setup.
The programs listed above all have WordPress plugins that you can install to make everything very easy for you.
But just so you don’t get too confused, let’s go over the installation instructions for each.
How to Install Traffic Tracking Programs
Google Analytics (made by Google)
- Create a Google Analytics account
- Install the Google Analytics plugin
- Watch this step by step guide.
HiStats (track LIVE visitors)
StatCounter (my personal favorite)
The above 3 methods are always up-to-date via their help guides above. I did not shoot my own videos for these because they change these tools often and it’s hard to keep up with their tweaks. So, their guides are perfect for you day-in and day-out.
What Do The Statistics Mean?
Using each of the programs above, there are a few terms you’ll need to understand.
I’ll go over some of the primary terminology.
- Unique Visitor: Each “unique visitor” accounts for one person. If you have 100 unique visitors, that means 100 different people have visited your website.
- Returning Visitor: When someone comes to your website and then returns again, they are known as “returning” or “repeat” visitors.
- Page Loads: Every page on your website that a visitor visits (blog, categories, pages, posts, etc.) add up the amount of page loads you have. So if you have 5 page loads but only 1 visitor, that means that one person viewed 5 pages of your website.
- Exit Links: If someone clicks on a link on your site, this will be considered an “exit link”. It’s great to know what links are being clicked for reference once you start monetizing your website with advertisements or products.
- Came From: If a visitor visits your site from a Google search, one of the traffic methods you implement, or any other method, they will be visible via a “came from” link.
How Much Traffic Do You Need?
When it comes down to it, you’re going to want as much traffic as you can get, as long as it’s targeted traffic (which you learned about in the previous part of this lesson).
My suggestion: Make it your ULTIMATE GOAL to receive 100 visitors to your website a day.
But, a good ratio is once you start to focus on making money with your website (which you’ll learn about in the next lesson)..
You’ll want to aim for…
1 conversion per 100 visitors (that’s 1%)
So if you have 200 people come to your website, you want to at the very least, make some form of money from 2 of them (again 1%).
If you can get 1 conversion out of every 100 visitors, then you can definitely increase that to 2 or even 10 conversions as you progress.
Don’t get ahead of yourself though..
I know I’m talking about money right now, but you don’t want to rush into money yet, before you get there, you NEED to know how to get traffic to your website and I DEFINITELY suggest you focus on getting traffic now and then money later.
It sounds like it should be reverse, but trust me, if you put time into the things that are important, you’ll be in a better position when it comes time to make money with your website.
So go ahead, continue through all of the parts inside of the traffic getting lesson and then once you have a good understand of how traffic is acquired (and you’ve actually implemented the methods), THEN continue onto the money making lesson.
Your 5 Minute Challenge
I want you to install one of the traffic tracking programs listed on this page.
Once you do that, tell us which method of traffic is giving you the best results in terms of traffic below.