Sharing your knowledge is an EXCELLENT way to gain credibility, trust, and build traffic to your website.
Q. How can I use Yahoo Answers to build traffic to my site?
First, you’ll want to sign up to Yahoo Answers.
Once you’ve created your account, you can then begin answering (and even asking) questions.
Note: You’ll want to answer questions related to your niche, but also questions that aren’t related, this way it doesn’t seem like you are abusing the network just for traffic.
Your 5 Minute challenge
Do your best to answer 3-5 questions everyday.
Dedicate 5 minutes max to each answer, this way you aren’t investing too much time into one thing and can put efforts into other techniques.
If you’d like, you can even write a post on your website to answer the question directly (HIGHLY recommended and a great way to build a lot of trust and value) and use that page as the “source” when you answer the question.
To get started, head on over to http://answers.yahoo.com to get started. 🙂
Once you are there, you will either need to sign in (if you already have a Yahoo! account), or register for a new account.
If you are registering for a new Yahoo! account, you should be on a page that looks similar to the following:
- Type in your name, select your gender, provide your birthday, and the country and zip code of where you live.
- Select a Yahoo ID and password of choice for your Yahoo! account.
- Provide an alternate email address and secret questions/answers in case you lose your Yahoo! account login information.
- Type in the CAPTCHA as you see it on your screen.
- Click on Create My Account.
Yahoo! will direct you to a confirmation page displaying all of the information you just provided.
Click on Continue to get started with Yahoo! Answers.
You will see several options, such as an option to ask a question, answer a question, browse categories, and so forth.
The easiest thing to do is click on Advanced Search next to the Search Y! Answers search box.
Follow the steps below for the Advanced Search page.
- Type in a set of keywords that you are looking for. You can specify all words that you want, you can specify exact matches only, or even exclude words that you don’t want returned in your search results.
- You can choose to have Yahoo! search for these keywords in questions only, answers only, or both questions and answers.
- You can specify a category and sub-category where you want Yahoo! to perform the search. It is usually best to leave this to the default of All Categories to broaden your search.
- Select the location. Leaving this to the default setting of All English questions is fine.
- Select Open Questions for the Question Status, as you want questions that are still open for answers.
- Select the Number of Answers (should not really matter).
- Select the date that the question was submitted. It is usually better to find the most recent and up-to-date questions, but again, you can broaden your search by leaving this set to the default of Anytime.
- Click on Submit to review the results.
Once you click on submit, Yahoo! will provide you with a list of the results found.
Focus on the results that are listed under the Sponsor Results. These results typically have the user’s avatar (profile picture if uploaded by the user), otherwise it will have the generic Yahoo! explanation symbol next to the result.
I will select the first question listed in the results to answer the question.
- Provide your answer. Avoid one word answers and stick to the topic. Your goal is to provide the best answer to the question (users can vote on who they think provided the best answer to a question).
- This section is very important. You can include a link to your website in this section for building a backlink. But, it is extremely important that you do NOT do this every single time you answer a question!! If you do it every time, it will be considered spam, and you could end up getting banned from Yahoo! Answers. Be natural about this, and make sure that your site relates to the topic in question if you end up including it in the source section.
- Click on Preview to preview your answer.
IMPORTANT NOTE: With regard to the source section, I want to emphasize the importance of not spamming. I am here to teach white hat techniques only. When you use Yahoo! Answers to build traffic, answer questions genuinely! Include real sources (without a link to your own website) on occasion or don’t include any sources at all (as you don’t always have to type in a link). Again, be realistic and just make sure that you do not overdo it.
After you preview your answer, you can make edits to it, otherwise click on Submit to answer the question.
And that’s it!
Stick with answering 5-10 questions daily (especially if you have multiple niche websites).
If you are new to Yahoo! Answers, any links you provide will not show up as “links” that other users can click on until you reach Level 2 status.
Basically, for every question you answer, you will get 2 points (10 points if your answer is voted to be the best). Once you reach 250 points, you will reach level 2, at which point your links will become click-able by others.
To understand the point system better, you can visit http://answers.yahoo.com/info/scoring_system.
Also, once again:
- Answer some questions that are totally irrelevant to your niche WITHOUT providing a source.
- Answer questions with valid sources that do not include a link to your website.
- Answer questions that relate to your niche, and include a link to your website.
The most important message I want to convey here is that spamming will get you no where, so avoid it at all cost. You can build your traffic using natural measures.